Valid PRESTO card required for free travel on buses
Effective May 1, 2023 Oakville Transit will be fare-free for youth 13-19 and seniors 65+. Customers who wish to take advantage of free transit must travel with a valid PRESTO card and tap on when boarding the bus. This will help Oakville Transit to track ridership numbers, with data used to help inform future services and improvements.
Free transit for youth and seniors was approved by Council as part of the town’s 2023 budget. This is a permanent service to be offered by Oakville Transit and applies to all routes and services, seven days a week – conventional fixed routes, school special routes, care-A-van, Home-to- Hub and Ride On-Demand.
Free PRESTO card giveaway on now!
Oakville Transit is giving away a limited number of free PRESTO cards now through to April 21 while quantities last, to help distribute cards to customers prior to May 1. ID showing the customer’s proof of age must be presented to get a card, which are available at the following locations:
- ServiceOakville counter, Town Hall, 1225 Trafalgar Road
- Oakville Transit, 430 Wyecroft Road
“Providing free public transit for youth and seniors is an important investment Council is making to enhance transportation options for the overall well-being of our community. Removing the cost to travel on Oakville Transit means more people can get around town more easily and will increase uptake in transit usage. Free transit promotes sustainability and equity and supports Council’s continued efforts to create a thriving and livable Oakville.”Mayor Rob Burton
PRESTO cards can also be purchased anytime for a one-time fee of $6 at local Shoppers Drug Mart locations, Oakville GO station, Oakville Transit and Town Hall.
For more information, visit the Oakville Transit website.
- As of May 1 when youth or seniors tap on board with a PRESTO card, the trip is recorded at $0 fare. No fare is charged to the PRESTO card.
- Oakville Transit operates from 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week, offering service through 22 conventional fixed routes, seven school special routes, care-A-van, Home to Hub and Ride On-Demand. Care-A-van customers scheduled on a taxi will be required to show their PRESTO card to the driver to travel for free.
- All transit buses are accessible and feature bike racks on all conventional vehicles.
- Oakville Transit has been offering free transit for kids 12 and under since 2021.
- Customers transferring to other transit agencies are encouraged to confirm fares with those agencies.
- Customers can use Oakville Transit’s real-time bus tracking tools to pinpoint the location of the are waiting for and when it will arrive at their bus stop.
- Taking public transit is a sustainable mode of transportation, it helps get people where they need to be while taking more cars off the road. Less congestion on roads means more opportunity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, leading to a cleaner environment.